You’ll get everything you’re looking for in these air-fried, crispy air fryer hash browns for breakfast! Take pleasure in perfectly cooked potatoes that have been seasoned. In my home, breakfast is a tremendous hit. If my kids are in the mood, we’ve been known to have breakfast for supper twice a week at the very least. There are several ways to approach your food.
If you want to eat something sweet, offer up pancakes or French toast in addition to the traditional bacon and eggs. Not to be overlooked are cinnamon rolls. If you are looking for salty food, air fryer cutlets, and hash browns are the best options.
How to make hash browns in the air fryer?
- PREP TIME: 5 Mins
- COOK TIME: 18 Mins
- TOTAL TIME: 23 Mins
- SERVINGS: 2 Servings
- Potatoes (russet or Yukon Gold are best)
- Oil (any type, such as olive oil or vegetable oil)
- Salt and pepper (optional)
Air fryer hash browns recipe
- Peel and shred the potatoes using a grater or food processor.
- Rinse the shredded potatoes in a colander to remove excess starch.
- Pat the potatoes dry with paper towels or a clean kitchen towel.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes with a small amount of oil, salt, and pepper (if desired).
- Place the mixture in the air fryer basket in an even layer.
- Cook at 370 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Shake the basket after halfway through cooking to ensure even browning.
- Bring out the hash browns from the air fryer and serve immediately.
It’s also good to check on your hashbrowns every 5 minutes after the 10 minutes of cooking, checking for the doneness to your liking. If you want additional ingredients like onions, cheese, or bacon bits, you can mix them with the shredded potatoes before placing them in the air fryer.
Tip for making frozen hash browns in the air fryer
- Start with pre-shredded frozen hash browns for convenience and consistency.
- Lightly coat the hash browns in oil before cooking to help them crisp up.
- Cook the hash browns in small batches to ensure they cook evenly and get crispy on all sides.
- Shake or flip the hash browns halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- To add flavor, add seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, or onion powder before cooking.
- Be careful when removing the hash browns from the air fryer, as the basket will be hot. Use tongs or a heatproof spatula to remove the hash browns, and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
What is the reason that hash browns do not get crispy?
Too much moisture: If the potatoes are not dried properly before cooking, the excess moisture can prevent the hash browns from getting crispy. Make sure to pat the potatoes dry with a paper towel or kitchen towel before cooking.
Not enough oil: Hash browns need a sufficient amount to crisp up properly. Make sure to coat the potatoes in oil before cooking, and add more oil if necessary during cooking.
Crowding the pan: If too many hash browns are cooked at once, they will steam instead of fry, resulting in soggy hash browns. Cook the hash browns in small batches to ensure proper crisping.
Not hot enough oil: The oil should be hot enough to cook the hash browns quickly and get them crispy. If the oil is not hot enough, the hash browns will absorb the oil and become greasy instead of crispy.
Not cooking long enough: Hash browns must cook enough to properly crisp up. Cook them for 8-12 minutes, depending on the desired level of crispiness.
How long do hash browns take in the air fryer?
The cooking time for hash browns in an air fryer will depend on the desired level of crispiness and the batch size. As a general guideline, you can expect hash browns to take 8-12 minutes at a high temperature (around 370°F).
It is recommended to check the hash browns occasionally and shake or flip them halfway through the cooking process for even crispiness. You can check the crispiness by taking one out and giving it a try; if it’s not crispy enough, you can put them on for a couple more minutes.
It is important to note that cooking times can vary depending on the size and power of the specific air fryer used. It’s always best to check your hash browns frequently and monitor them as they cook to ensure they don’t overcook or burn.
How to reheat hash browns in the air fryer?
- Here’s how to reheat hash browns in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 3-5 minutes.
- Place the frozen or refrigerated hash browns in the air fryer basket, making sure not to overcrowd them.
- Cook the hash browns for about 4-6 minutes or until heated and crispy. Shake or flip them halfway through the cooking process for even reheating.
- Bring out the hash browns from the air fryer using tongs or a heatproof spatula and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
- You can also spray some cooking oil or mist with oil using an oil mister to help them crispier.
How to keep hash browns from falling through the air fryer basket
- Here are a few ways to keep hash browns from falling through the air fryer basket:
- Use perforated parchment paper or a perforated air fryer liner. It will prevent the hash browns from falling through the basket and make for easy cleanup.
- Ensure to dry the hash browns thoroughly before cooking; excess moisture can cause them to fall through the basket. Dry them with a paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Cook the hash browns in small batches, as overcrowding the air fryer basket can cause them to fall through the gaps.
- Use a metal or heatproof spatula to gently press down on the hash browns while cooking. This will help them adhere to the basket and also helps with cooking evenly.
- Consider using a cooking spray or lightly coating them with oil which will help them stick to the basket and also help them crisp up.
Hash browns are a form of potatoes typically high in carbohydrates and potassium and contain smaller amounts of other nutrients such as vitamin C, B6, and iron.
In general, hash browns are relatively high in calories and should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. They are also relatively high in sodium, so there may be better choices for those who need to watch their salt intake.
A 100g serving of plain hash browns contains around:
- 130 calories
- 30g carbohydrates
- 1g protein
- 0.5g fat
- 3g fibre
- 12mg of vitamin C
- 0.8mg of vitamin B6
- 1.5mg iron
- 140mg sodium
- 480mg potassium
It’s worth noting that the nutritional value can vary depending on the preparation method, cooking oil, and seasoning used.
What to serve with hash brown in the air fryer?
Hash browns in an air fryer can be served as a side dish with a variety of meals, such as:
Breakfast: Hash browns can be served with scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast for a classic breakfast.
Brunch: They can also be paired with smoked salmon, avocado, and a fried egg for a brunch dish.
Lunch and Dinner: Hash browns can be served with grilled or roasted meats such as chicken, steak, or pork chops, as well as fish or seafood dishes.
Vegetarian: They can also be served with various vegetables, such as grilled or roasted vegetables, or a salad.
Sandwiches: Hash browns are a great addition to sandwiches and burgers to make them more filling.
Casseroles are also a great component of casseroles, adding extra texture and flavor.
You can also add some seasonings or herbs to complement your meal, for example, herbs like parsley, chives, scallions, or a sprinkle of cheese on top.